Lasagna is one of those meals that just says comfort food. Sometimes I just crave the texture of a real noodles and don’t want to substitute them for spaghetti squash or zucchini. When I stumbled upon Cappello’s fresh paleo pasta products at my King Soopers, I was so excited! I saw the words grain free on the box and I did a double take! I immediately grabbed the box and couldn’t wait to get home to make them that night. I use to love to serve fresh pasta with my meatballs and have been in search for a grain free fresh pasta for a long time. Since going grain free, when I have wanted the texture of real noodles, I have just had to serve regular gluten free pasta. That is UNTIL NOW! I wasn’t expecting a lot when I took my first bite, but when I tasted them I literally thought I had died and gone to heaven. This is no exaggeration! I am absolutely in love with all of the Cappello’s products. They are a Colorado based company and their products are in many King Soopers stores. You can also go to Cappellos.com or click HERE to get their products. It’s money well spent!
These Lasagna Roll Ups are so good and easy. I haven’t tried using zucchini yet, but if you don’t want to use pasta, I’m sure you could substitute zucchini slices and it would work fine. I think doing the roll ups is a bit easier and quicker to prepare than traditional lasagna, and it turns out tasting the same. There is also no pre-cooking Cappello’s lasagna sheets. The only cooking needed is when they bake in the oven! I hope you try this recipe for dinner tonight! Oh, and don’t forget to pin it for later with the link provided at the end of the recipe.
Lasagna Roll Ups (gluten free, grain free)
This grain free version of lasagna tastes just like the real deal.
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage (nitrate-free)
- 1/2 small white onion finely chopped
- 1 (25 oz.) jar organic spaghetti sauce (we use simple truth organic tomato basil)
- 3 Tbsp. fresh chopped basil for topping
- 1 (15 oz.) container cottage cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 C grated parmesan (1/2 C for filling and 1/4 C for topping)
- 1 1/2 C grated mozzarella cheese (1 C for filling and 1/2 C for topping)
- 1 package Cappello’s Lasagna Sheets (cut each sheet in half to make a total of 14 sheets)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Over medium heat, crumble Italian sausage in a large skillet. Add chopped onion and cook mixture until browned, breaking up meat while cooking.
- Add sauce to meat mixture, cover and simmer a few minutes while preparing your cheese mixture and pasta sheets.
- In a large mixing bowl with a fork, stir together cottage cheese, 1/2 C parmesan cheese, 1 C mozzarella, egg, salt, pepper and dried basil. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Lightly grease an 11×9 inch baking dish and spread about 1/3 C of the meat mixture evenly into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Lay two lasagna sheets side by side in the baking dish on top of your meat mixture and spread a few Tbsp. of the cheese mixture evenly onto each noodle. Top the cheese mixture with a few Tbsp. of the meat mixture. Roll the noodles up jelly roll style and arrange seam side down in baking dish. Repeat with the rest of the noodles.
- Cover rolled noodles with remaining meat sauce and sprinkle with 1/2 C mozzarella and 1/4 C parmesan cheese evenly over roll ups. Tent baking dish with aluminum foil (don’t allow it to rest on the cheese or it will stick. This is to prevent the cheese from browning) and bake for 35 min.
- Serve warm garnished with fresh chopped basil. Enjoy!