This breakfast casserole is perfect if you have guests staying with you and you want something you can prepare the night before. It’s also perfect for a Christmas breakfast or if you’re like me and love to have something to quickly heat up in the morning and be healthy as well. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Easy Breakfast Casserole (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Low-Carb)
An easy, hearty breakfast perfect to serve guests.
- 1 C. cooked diced uncured ham or breakfast sausage ( I used ham)
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 C. fresh baby arugula
- 1 diced roma tomato
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 C. shredded mexican cheese blend
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 C. milk
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 T. butter (only if using ham)
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
- On medium high heat brown and crumble your sausage or dice up your ham. If using ham add the 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan to add a little fat to brown your ham slightly. While meat is browning, whisk your eggs, 1 1/2 cups of cheese and milk together in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Remove meat from skillet and set aside reserving the fat in the pan to sauté your vegetables.
- Add your onion and garlic and sauté until translucent. Once the onions and garlic are done, add the tomato and lastly your arugula to the pan. Continue cooking until arugula is wilted down. (About 2-4 minutes)
- Add your meat back to the skillet mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the vegetable and meat mixture to the mixing bowl with the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour evenly into a lightly greased baking dish (9×13″).
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake covered for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let the casserole rest for about 5 minutes and serve. Serve with a side of fresh arugula. Enjoy!!